About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Gallery Update: Being a Witness for the Sunset of a DC-3

After a friend and I went flying this morning, we were treated to a neat sight at the Spanish Fork-Springville Airport with a Douglas DC-3 parked on the ramp! Apparently, it made it's final flight yesterday from somewhere back east and is going to be re-purposed and re-located for permanent display as part of a children's playground. A crew was in the process of dismantling the aircraft by removing it's two functional Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines and replace them with non-airworthy ones (most likely for aesthetic purposes). 

As cool of a sight it was, I was actually kind of saddened to hear that this old, venerable warbird would no longer fly. But that's the sad truth about the aviation industry: Like anything else, everything gets spent over time after much wear-and-tear, and airplanes are no exceptions as they all have a limited airframe life. I can take solace in knowing that the DC-3 my friend and I saw today will still be somewhat appreciated by generations to come as part of a unique display; we served as witnesses for a venerable warbird's "sunset" moments...


Preview:

Douglas C-47 (DC-3F) Skytrain (N8061A) parked on the ramp. Formerly with Jim Hankins Air Service, Inc.

First delivered to the United States Army Air Force in 1942 as 41-18679. This beauty then went to Canada, where it was registered as CF-CPX, where it flew for Canadian Pacific Airlines from December 1945 until June 1969. During the 1970s, it flew for Harrison Air. In the 1980s, she was re-registered in the United States as N8061A and first flew for Salair. Eventually, this DC-3 made its way to Jim Hankins Air Service, Inc. until the company went bankrupt. A dignifying end now awaits this warbird as she will hopefully be appreciated by children and enthusiasts alike.

No comments: